10 Jobs for May
Spring is definitely here. Most seeds sown now will germinate fairly quickly and frost tender plants can go out at the end of the month.
- Sow Runner Beans either in cold frame or direct in your prepared bean trench
- Sow Sweetcorn in modules or toilet roll tubes in coldframe
- Sow French Beans directly into the soil
- Harden off Tomatoes and plant out at the end of the month in good rich soil
- Sow cucumber and gherkins in the cold frame or greenhouse
- Plant out Brussels Sprouts but use the ground in between them for a catch crop of cauliflower or cabbage
- Carry on sowing successional crops such as lettuce, radish, rocket, spring onions, peas etc, every two weeks
- Thin Carrot and Beetroot sowings
- Net Strawberries against bird attack and pack straw around them to discourage slugs and protect fruit from mud splashes
- Keep Onions and Shallots free from weeds
If you have any more suggestions for May jobs, add them to the list.