10 Jobs for December
In December it’s all about tidying up, getting as much digging done when it’s not frosty and generally preparing for the worst of the Winter weather. You might even think about insulating your cold frame if you have any plants in there. But don’t forget to carry on enjoying the fruits of your summer labour in the shape of jams, jellies, chutneys and fruit syrups.
- Test the ph of your soil and apply lime if necessary. Don’t apply manure at the same time
- Get on with your winter digging so long as the ground isn’t frozen or waterlogged
- Get hold of some well-rotted manure. Farms are ideal or buy it in bags if you have to
- Earth up Spring Cabbages and winter brassicas
- Pack straw around vulnerable perennials like Artichoke
- Harvest Brussels Sprouts from the bottom up
- Dig up some Leeks and heel them in for easier harvesting
- Spread a layer of well-rotted manure around fruit bushes
- Prune fruit trees but remember to burn all prunings as they might be infected with disease or aphid eggs
- Dig your Runner Bean trench – leave it open to the elements for now
If you have any more suggestions for December jobs, add them to the list.