10 Jobs for October
The cold weather has started to set in. It’s misty in the mornings and usually cold and damp until the sun breaks through. October is a time for harvest and tidying up. Don’t be too neat though – why not leave the odd Sunflower head for the birds. They’ll appreciate it.
- Bring in the last vegetables for storage before the frosts. These include: Onions, Apples, Potatoes and Carrots
- Sow some more green manure in empty ground
- Plant more Tulip bulbs for next Spring
- Sow some winter Lettuce, such as Arctic King, in the greenhouse or coldframe
- Leave some Runner Beans and French Beans on the plant to dry so that you can collect the seed
- Plant Garlic and Spring Cabbage
- Sow outdoor Broadbeans and Peas now for a crop in early Spring
- Feed Brussels Sprouts and Winter Cabbage now to encourage them on in time for Christmas
- Pot up some Parsley, Chives and Mint to use over the winter – dig up and discard annuals such as Coriander and Dill
- Tidy up your Strawberry patch by removing any yellow leaves and the last runners
If you have any more suggestions for October jobs, add them to the list.