10 Jobs for September
Summer is still holding on (if you’re lucky) and you may get some late Sweetcorn to harvest. Autumn Raspberries are in full swing and your Pumpkins and Squashes are swelling. You may also have some Chilli Peppers in the cold frame and the odd Apple or two that is ready for eating.
- Start to clear away some of the crops that have gone over (ended) like Runner beans and Sweet Peas
- Expose Apples and Pears to the sun to ripen
- Sow some winter Lettuce
- Prune trained Peach trees, taking out any branches that are not needed or growing out at right angles
- Plant Strawberry plants to increase your stock. Aim to replace plants after their third year.
- Earth up Celery and Leeks
- Plant Japanese bunching onions
- Plant Spring Cabbage
- Lift main crop Potatoes – check they are ready by rubbing the skin, if it doesn’t easily come off they are ready.
- Plant Tulips for next Spring
If you have any more suggestions for September jobs, add them to the list.