I picked the first of the strawberries last night and ate half of them with some ice cream. Boy were they sweet! Last year, the strawberry harvest was poor – mainly due to my neglect. The birds had most of them and what they left behind the slugs cleared up. This year I made a pointed effort to secure the harvest and it’s worked. Firstly, I doubled the amount of strawberry plants we had by letting virtually every plant grow a runner. Then I potted them up and let them grow on for a few months. Then in early Autumn I planted them in the ground. Come spring time I spruced them up with a quick trim and put oodles of straw around them. I also gave them a sneaky feed of ‘Growmore’ whenever I could. Then once they had flowered I put netting around them to deter the birds. And this is the reward for my efforts. I couldn’t be happier!